- ¼ cup moong dal
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Pragati Turmeric
- 4 Cups + ¼ cup Bread flour
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- 3 fl oz olive oil
- 16 oz water (add a tad more as needed)
- Kothmir oil (See below)
Kothmir garlic herb oil:
For the dal:
- Boil dal until al-dente with salt and turmeric, drain, set aside.
For the kothmir oil:
- Combine all ingredients together, set aside.
For the focaccia:
- Combine flour, yeast and salt, mix by hand. Pour in water and oil, stir (by hand) bringing the dough to the center of the bowl, 5 to 7 minutes.Fold in dal towards the end, reserve a tablespoon or two to dot the top of the Focaccia before baking. Let rise for an hour.
- Combine all ingredients for the oil then set aside.
- Line a ¼ sheet pan or standard jelly roll pan with parchment, brush half the herb oil on the parchment. Place dough in the pan and shape to fit the pan. Brush rest of the kothmir oil no top and dot with halved cherry tomatoes cut side up, and reserved dal. Let rise until double in size.
- Dimple the dough with your fingertips right before baking, kind of like playing a piano, just not angrily.
- Bake at 500F degrees, immediately turn down the temperature to 450F once the Focaccia is in...bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- You can add all kinds of veggies on top, such as onions and tomatoes.
- Use good quality olive oil and unbleached bread flour if possible.
- If you have to use All purpose flour, mix the dough longer to produce more gluten/structure to make up for the lack of protein.