Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 3-4 carrots)
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios, coarsely chopped (half for topping)
- 1 tsp ground Baraka Cardamom (seeds from about 12 pods, ground)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground Makhir Ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 lemon, zested (use the juice for something else!)
- 1/2 tsp flakey salt (we love Jacobsen!)
- Pre-heat an oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crack open ~12 pods of cardamom (using the side of a knife helps) to collect the black seeds within, then grind into a powder with a mortar and pestle, back of a spoon or a spice grinder.
- Add rolled oats, grated carrot, spices and nuts to a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add maple syrup, ghee, vanilla and jaggery. Melt together and boil for 30 seconds. Pour over the granola mixture and mix with clean hands or a spatula until well coated.
- Evenly spread the granola onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until dry and golden all over (this took about 45 minutes for us!).
- Remove the granola from the oven and turn the oven up to 350°F. Stir the granola with a spoon and spread into an even layer. Top with dates, pistachios, shredded coconut, lemon zest and flakey salt and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Enjoy with milk, yogurt or on its own as a snack!